Women At Casino While Little Girl Beaten to Death, Suspects Arrested

Posted on: February 19, 2024, 07:52h. 

Last updated on: February 19, 2024, 12:12h.

Two mothers were at a gaming property when two boys violently attacked a three-year-old in an East Baton Rouge, Louisiana residence last week. The toddler later died from her injuries.

East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux
East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux, pictured above. He said the death of a Louisiana toddler was devastating. (Image: KPEL)

The incident took place on February 12 while eight children, ranging in age from eight months to 12 years old, were unattended for many hours in the home.

The little girl, identified as Blessing Buckles, had apparently lost consciousness when East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s deputies arrived at the home, according to Louisiana TV station WAFB.

Brain Bleed

Buckles suffered a brain bleed and had bruises and cuts on her body. She was rushed to a local hospital.

She passed away on February 14. Doctors will likely perform an autopsy on the victim to confirm the cause and manner of death.

One of the many unattended children had called the sheriff’s office about the injured girl and said she had stopped breathing. The two mothers also were alerted about the attack, and they returned home as deputies arrived.

The women and two boys are now facing murder charges in connection with the fatal beating.

Last week, authorities arrested a 10-year-old boy, a 12-year-old boy, the victim’s mother, identified as Dineshia Yates, 26, and Terica Scott, also 26, who was said to be the mother and aunt of the two young suspects, WAFB reported.

The boys were booked at a juvenile detention center on Friday. They both were charged with simple battery and second-degree murder. Scott and Yates were facing principal to second-degree murder and principal to battery charges.

If convicted, the women could face prison sentences. The boys will likely be tried in juvenile court and if found guilty could be sentenced to a juvenile facility.

Yates and her children were living at Scott’s residence for about two weeks. The women allegedly often left the kids unattended.

Prior Violence

A four-year-old and possibly others of Yates’ daughters were assaulted by one of the young suspects before the deadly attack took place, authorities said. But Yates “ignored her children’s pleas for help,” according to an arrest report.

Scott told deputies she was aware her nephew had been physically violent when interacting with children, WAFB reported.

A case like this is devastating,” East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux was quoted by McClatchy Media Network.

“My heart breaks for this child lost too soon, and I pray for the others involved. Please call law enforcement immediately if you are ever aware of abuse, neglect, or desertion of children.”