Conor McGregor Under Sexual Assault Investigation After Announcing Retirement
Posted on: March 27, 2019, 10:06h.
Last updated on: March 27, 2019, 10:06h.
Former UFC star Conor McGregor is under investigation in his native Ireland on allegations of sexual assault, the New York Times reports.
The media outlet says the 30-year-old – who announced his retirement from mixed martial arts yesterday – is being investigated by Irish authorities on allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman in Dublin last December. He has not been formally charged with any crime.
The Times says sources allege the attack occurred at a hotel in South Dublin. Newspapers in Ireland have been reporting on the incident for months, but law there prevents the media from naming suspects who haven’t been formally charged by police.
This story has been circulating for some time, and it is unclear why it is being reported now,” Karen Kessler, a spokesperson for McGregor said. “The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely false.”
“Investigations are ongoing in this case, and at this time a file continues to be prepared for the director of public prosecutions,” a police statement issued this week explained.
The odds of McGregor coming out of retirement and fighting in the UFC in 2019 are Yes -160, No +130. The line implies there’s a 38.46 percent chance he’ll step into the Octagon this year.
Fall From Grace
McGregor tweeted this week that he is walking away from competitive fighting just hours after telling Jimmy Fallon on his show that he was arranging his next UFC fight.
“I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition,” he said via social media. “Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”
The alleged sexual assault claim is just the latest in a string of controversies and illicit acts for McGregor.
He slapped a ring commissioner in the fall of 2017, attacked a bus in 2018 carrying rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, got into a post-fight brawl with Khabib after his defeat that led to suspensions for both fighters, and earlier this month was charged with two felonies after allegedly grabbing and destroying a phone of an onlooking bystander snapping photos.
For McGregor – perhaps the most important fighter in UFC history – the downward spiral has garnered the league much negative press.
Return From Retirement
This isn’t the first time McGregor has announced his retirement. He stated the ending of his career on social media in April 2016, only to reverse his decision two days later when he agreed to a bout with Nate Diaz.
There has been speculation that boxer Floyd Mayweather – who defeated McGregor in the UFC fighter’s crossover entry into boxing – would switch sports for a rematch with Conor in MMA. His colleagues believe the odds are strong of a second comeback.
Former UFC great Ronda Rousey tweeted, “Second round is on me.” Fellow fighter Matt Brown said, “Get in make money get out. Much respect to Conor. He’ll be back though for sure!”
Related News Articles
Related News Articles
- September 9, 2020 — 183 Comments—
- September 19, 2020 — 28 Comments—
- September 25, 2020 — 14 Comments—