Crime & Scandals
Thunder Valley Casino Mass-Stabbing Suspect Identified, Charged With Attempted Murder
Posted on: August 20, 2026, 05:33h.
Last updated on: August 20, 2026, 05:33h.
A man who allegedly ran amok with a kitchen knife in a restaurant at Northern California’s Thunder Valley Casino Resort on Wednesday (August 19) has been named and charged with attempted murder.

Joseph Naugle, 22, a worker at the Dos Coyotes Border Café inside the casino, is accused of stabbing five colleagues, according to the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. He faces two counts of attempted murder, with additional charges expected, the sheriff’s office said.
Deputies were called to the tribal casino near Lincoln, Calif., at around 7 p.m. on Wednesday after reports of a stabbing incident in the restaurant’s kitchen area.
Thunder Valley Casino Resort is owned by the United Auburn Indian Community and is located about 30 miles northeast of Sacramento.
Kitchen Nightmare
Naugle was arrested at the scene. Footage from CBS Sacramento showed him wearing a dark kitchen apron as he was placed in the back of a sheriff’s patrol vehicle. The department later confirmed that five people had been stabbed and said no other suspects were being sought.
One injured employee was taken to a local hospital, while the other four were treated at the scene by Thunder Valley Casino EMTs and CAL FIRE personnel, according to authorities.
The casino was not evacuated and remained open, as the attack was confined to the kitchen, and many guests were unaware of the incident, authorities said.
At this point in the investigation, it appears the suspect knew all five victims. No additional suspects are outstanding. And there is no outstanding threat to the public,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.
The casino has not commented on the incident and is referring media requests to the sheriff’s office. The motive for the attack remains unclear.
Clean Record
The suspect does not appear to have a criminal record. A LinkedIn page suggests he graduated from Woodcreek High School in nearby Roseville in 2022 and subsequently worked as a cashier for KFC.
In 2012, age eight, he was the subject of a police search after running away from his mother at a swimming party, but was found safe later that day, according to The New York Post.
According to a description issued at the time, he occasionally walked with a limp and had “medical issues.”
Naugle is scheduled to be arraigned on Friday at Placer County Superior Court.
Conversation (0)
Be the first to comment on this article.