Alberta Minister Admits May iGaming Launch Slid to July Due to Operator Pressure

Posted on: May 21, 2026, 10:46h. 

Last updated on: May 21, 2026, 11:38h.

  • Alberta Minister Dale Nally kicked off a major gaming summit in Toronto with a highly anticipated update on the province’s transition to an open commercial market
  • Over 70 private iGaming platforms have already lined up to enter Alberta, with 37 operators officially registering for provincial licensing
  • The formal launch date for Alberta’s open iGaming and sports betting market is locked in for July 13, 2026, bringing a decisive end to the unregulated grey market

Speaking at a Toronto gaming summit yesterday, Alberta Minister Dale Nally admitted he initially hoped to launch the province’s highly anticipated open iGaming market this month.

Dale Nally, Minister of Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction of Alberta, takes part in a fireside chat yesterday at SBC Summit Canada, talking about the launch of the province’s new igaming market in July. (Image: Mark Keast)

Launch Date Confirmed

Delivering a keynote address at the SBC Canadian Gaming Summit, Nally, who is the Minister of Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction of Alberta, yesterday confirmed the previously reported launch date for the new open, competitive igaming market – July 13.

“I wanted to launch earlier,” said Nally. “We were ready to launch earlier. We were going to go in May. It was the operators that said to us they wanted us to hold back. And so, through consultation with the industry, we landed on July 13 as that sweet spot. I am confident we are going to be ready.”

70 Operators Expressed Interest to Join

The province’s incoming commercial framework is already drawing massive private interest. Nally confirmed that 37 operators have cut checks for their registration fees to take on the state-owned Play Alberta platform, a figure that could top out around 70 brands once the market fully matures.

Though modeled after Ontario’s four-year-old framework, Alberta’s commercial market will introduce a unique financial twist. Ontario takes a clean 20% cut of operator revenue. Alberta will match that 80-20 revenue split but will immediately siphon 3% off the top of the provincial take to back indigenous communities and responsible gaming initiatives.

Another difference – Alberta will have centralized a self-exclusion platform when the market goes live. Ontario has only just launched its BetGuard self-exclusion platform last week, despite launching a regulated igaming market four years ago.

Two Years of Prep Work

“We know that online gambling is alive and well, and you can do one of two things as a government,” said Nally.

“You can stick your head in the sand and pretend it’s not there. We have a different approach. We believe we have a fiduciary responsibility to the citizens of Alberta, and that means we gambling to be as safe and responsible as possible, and that’s only going to happen in a regulated environment.”

“We’re simply responding to a need in the marketplace,” he added. “We have taken a lot of what we are doing in Alberta from the Ontario experience. We’re doing a few things differently because we’re Alberta. The best way to deal with an illegal, illicit market is to have a healthy, responsible legal market.

The Minister continued: “I will also say that Alberta is an entrepreneurial, hard-working jurisdiction. Our logo is strong and free, that is our brand, it’s on our license plates. We embrace going after big initiatives. We want to build pipelines to the coast, we want to double oil and gas revenue.

“Everything about our government is to do things bigger and better, and this is just part of that. This has been a big initiative, taking online gambling that exists in the marketplace and regulating it, legalizing it, making it safe and responsible,” he concluded.