Report: All Remaining MGM Resorts Casino Buffets to Close in 2027
Posted on: May 18, 2026, 10:40h.
Last updated on: May 18, 2026, 10:39h.
- According to Vital Vegas, MGM Resorts plans to close its remaining three Las Vegas buffets by the second quarter of 2027
- A reliable source said the news was broken during a staff meeting by an MGM regional executive
- If true, the closures will leave the Las Vegas Strip with only four remaining buffets
The last three buffets standing at MGM Resorts casinos in Las Vegas are expected to fall by Q2 2027, according to Vital Vegas. First will come the buffets at Excalibur and Bellagio, with the Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan the last scheduled to fall.

This news comes on the heels of MGM Resorts’ announcement last month that the MGM Grand Buffet will stack its final trays on May 31, 2026, leaving the Strip with only seven smorgasbords. Remove MGM’s share and the list shrinks to just four:
1. Bacchanal Buffet at Caesars Palace
2. Circus Buffet at Circus Circus
3. Signature Seafood Buffet at Resorts World
4. Wynn Buffet
Although Vital Vegas blogger Scott Roeben is employed by Casino.org, he is known for withholding his scoops from the company’s newsroom and keeping his sources confidential.
However, Roeben has revealed the origin of his latest information. He states the intel came from a trusted source who alleged it was leaked during a meeting hosted by Mike Neubecker, the president and COO of MGM Grand, Excalibur, New York-New York, Mandalay Bay, and Luxor.
“As with many companies, there are ongoing town halls and closed-door meetings where executives lighten up and sometimes share news that hasn’t been vetted by anyone,” Roeben said. “Those in attendance often share those tidbits with me. Plans can change, but they often provide a sneak preview of projects and closures on the horizon.”
If true, an estimated 350 to 470 employees will lose their livelihoods, and it is with no joy that we jump the gun with such bad news. But Roeben says his source is reliable.
MGM Resorts has not responded to Casino.org’s request for comment at the time of publication of this article.
The Last Supper

Buffets in Las Vegas are disappearing because casinos have been losing millions on them for decades — by design.
Up until the 1980s, when gaming still represented 75% of the average Vegas casino’s revenue and everything else accounted for only 25%, roughly 35 Strip properties had their own buffets.
Food and alcohol were loss leaders — items priced way below cost to support a main revenue stream.
It made sense to spend money keeping guests gambling onsite instead of venturing to nearby casinos to dine (and probably gambling there afterward).
By 2000, the model flipped. 75% of casino revenue came from high-end dining and entertainment, and only 25% from gambling. Steve Wynn’s Mirage helped kick-start that ratio, which persists today.
At the same time, buffet costs — food, labor, logistics – soared. Caesars Entertainment was losing $3 million a year on its buffets pre-pandemic, according to Vital Vegas. COVID simply gave operators cover to kill a money-bleeding tradition.
Swapping buffets for food halls or more slots turn a money‑losing operation into a multi-million‑dollar revenue source.
No comments yet