MGM Resorts Says IT Systems Restored But Operational Disruptions Remain
Posted on: September 20, 2023, 07:40h.
Last updated on: September 20, 2023, 11:16h.
MGM Resorts International says its IT systems at its resorts in Las Vegas and across the US are back up and running.
In a statement issued late Tuesday night, the Bellagio and Cosmopolitan operator said the cyber attack on its computer networks has been resolved. The company says its casinos are operating normally.
Our resort services, dining, entertainment, pools and spas are operating normally and welcoming thousands of guests each day. Our gaming floors, including slots, table games, and poker rooms are open,” the MGM statement read.
“Visitors to all of our properties may use Slot Dollars and FREEPLAY, and our slots are recording gaming spend. Our slot ticket-in/ticket-out systems are up and running, and our amazing employees are available to help guests with any intermittent issues. We thank you for your patience and look forward to welcoming you soon,” the notice added.
The news is a major step toward MGM fully resolving the cyberattack that was deployed against its IT networks on September 10, but customers say they’re continuing to experience service issues despite MGM claiming its resort operations are back to normal.
MGM’s property websites and mobile app have largely been restored. Customers can book dining, bar, lounge, and nightlife reservations. Spa services and most entertainment can also be booked online.
However, most MGM casinos continue to require guests to book rooms by calling the property directly. Online room reservations remain disabled at Aria, Bellagio, Excalibur, Luxor, Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, and New York-New York. Guests seeking a stay at one of MGM’s regional hotels like MGM National Harbor, MGM Springfield, and Beau Rivage must also call to book a room.
The Cosmopolitan website wasn’t impacted by the cyberattack, as the casino has its own IT system. MGM only acquired the Cosmopolitan’s operating rights last year. As a result, Cosmopolitan rooms can be booked online.
Guests have encountered lengthy hold times as the MGM phone lines have been flooded with calls from people seeking to book or cancel a reservation, seek information on the resort’s operational status, and report ongoing service disruptions.
Mobile check-in services and kiosk check-ins also remain offline. And that’s caused some of the biggest headaches during the cyber event. Overnight customers have faced lengthy check-in and check-out lines as a result of digital room keys being unavailable.
MGM is continuing to allow guests to cancel their hotel reservations without penalty through September 24.
Gaming Issues Solved
While there are ongoing issues, a major development is that MGM’s casino floors have seemingly been restored. Gaming vouchers are again being printed and cashier kiosks are ready to redeem.
During the cyberattack, slot players were forced to wait for a slot attendant to manually pay out their winnings. MGM says only the Excalibur remains facing operational disruptions on its casino floor. Guests there must continue to see a casino cashier or slot representative to receive their winnings.
Finally, MGM says its slots are again tracking gaming spend for MGM Rewards players. However, MGM Rewards points are not currently available for use.
UPDATE: An MGM Resorts spokesperson says the gaming issues at Excalibur reported earlier have been resolved.
Related News Articles
November 14, 2023 — 28 Comments—
November 16, 2023 — 9 Comments—
November 10, 2023 — 9 Comments—
November 17, 2023 — 8 Comments—
October 19, 2023 — 6 Comments—