Mandalay Bay Convention Center Attendees Pass Through Hand-Held Metal Detectors at Barrett-Jackson Car Auction
Posted on: October 20, 2017, 04:00h.
Last updated on: October 20, 2017, 12:16h.
Security protocols were implemented at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson automobile auction this week, with all attendees getting wanded by guards with hand-held-metal detectors. The center is at the back of the resort where on October 1st Stephen Paddock carried out the deadliest mass shooting in US history, killing 58 people and injuring 550.
The safety measure was not instituted by the MGM Resorts-owned property, but instead was put in place by the event organizer. T.E.A.M. Security, an Arizona-based company with an office in Las Vegas, has worked with the auction company before, and as well as clearing those going into the show, is also inspecting bags and patrolling the show floor.
Robert Desimone, a spokesman for Barrett-Jackson, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal on Thursday that crowd security was the No. 1 priority.
“We added some additional measures for the safety of our guests here,” he said.
According to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors 2017 Executive Summary, 4.695 million people attended 13,228 conventions and meetings, a 6.2 percent increase from 2016’s August year to date total. According to Jeremy Handal, senior director of communications for the Las Vegas Convention Center, security at LVCC is also the responsibility of show organizers.
Global Changes in Thinking
New planning concepts for security aren’t just hitting Las Vegas. Around the world, the Route 91 Harvest country musical festival tragedy has been a wakeup call to gaming operators to be prepared for anything and everything.
The six Macau casino operators announced on Monday an agreement with the local Judiciary Police to develop a simulation of an attack at city gaming venues in an effort to be better prepared.
Drills will be conducted to test the ability of operators, law enforcement, and emergency responders to handle such an attack, though specific details were not provided. Casinos were tasked with creating a “special action team” that would presumably be able to quickly respond to major incidents. They also aim to be able to communicate with city officials during a crisis.
Security employees at resorts are also being trained to look for any suspicious activity. Other measures being implemented in Macau are large luggage bans from the casino floor and metal detectors at each entrance.
Fallout Continues for MGM Resorts
Las Vegas Strip casinos have, so far, not announced any similar coordinated plans. MGM Resorts did say it has no plans to rent the 32nd floor suite that Paddock used to carry out his deadly attack again.
“This was a terrible tragedy perpetrated by an evil man. We have no intention of renting that room,” the company said in a statement. It’s not clear if the ban will be permanent, however, or what will become of the room otherwise.
The family of one of the gunman’s victims filed suit on Tuesday. This is the second litigation against the MGM in response to the tragedy.
Related News Articles
Related News Articles
September 9, 2020 — 178 Comments—
September 19, 2020 — 27 Comments—
September 9, 2020 — 6 Comments—