Kansas City Chiefs Strengthen Hold as Super Bowl Favorite in Latest NFL Odds
Posted on: August 19, 2020, 12:42h.
Last updated on: August 19, 2020, 02:21h.
With NFL training camps under way, the quest to win Super Bowl LV is seen as a two-horse race between the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens.
The Chiefs, who won last year’s Super Bowl, are 9/2 favorites in the latest odds from Westgate SuperBook. The Ravens, who had the best record in the league last season but faltered in the playoffs, are 5/1.
The opening odds on the Chiefs were 7/1. Those tightened to 5/1, but two bettors saw value and plunked down big bets, according to Jeff Sherman, SuperBook’s vice president of risk management and oddsmaking.
“We took a $25,000 wager and a $55,000 wager on the Chiefs at 5/1, driving them down to 9/2,” Sherman told Casino.org.
What About NFC?
While the perceived heavyweights are in the AFC, the NFC is loaded with quality. San Francisco, which represented the conference in the Super Bowl last year, has the best odds to win the Super Bowl at 9/1. The 49ers are followed by the New Orleans Saints at 10/1, Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 12/1, and Seattle Seahawks at 16/1.
The sportsbooks don’t think highly of the teams that lost in the conference championship games last season. Green Bay, coming off a surprise 13-3 season, started at 20/1, but has fallen to 30/1; Tennessee started at 30/1 but has plunged to 60/1.
What is the impact of Tom Brady? When the opening odds were released on Jan. 13, Brady was a member of the Patriots and New England was 12/1 to win. Now, with Brady in Tampa Bay, the Patriots are a distant 40/1. Having secured Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski, the Buccaneers have gone from 60/1 to 12/1.
Mahomes for MVP
The Chiefs’ quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, has widened his lead in the MVP race. He’s 7/2 to claim the league’s highest honor, down from 4/1.
At the same time, many of the other top contenders are trending backward. That includes Baltimore quarterback Lamar Jackson, the reigning MVP, who has gone from 6/1 to 12/1.
Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson has gone from 10/1 to 14/1. Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott remains unchanged at 16/1, and Houston quarterback DeShaun Watson has gone from 12/1 to 20/1.
Meanwhile, the Raiders will make their Las Vegas debut in a little more than a month with a Monday night game against New Orleans on Sept. 21. Saints running back Alvin Kamara is 5/1 to score the first touchdown at Allegiant Stadium, followed by Saints receiver Michael Thomas at 6/1. The leading Raiders player is running back Josh Jacobs at 8/1.
SuperBook’s odds to win Super Bowl LV
- Kansas City Chiefs – Opening odds: 7/1. Current: 9/2
- Baltimore Ravens – Opening odds: 8/1. Current: 5/1
- San Francisco 49ers – Opening odds: 8/1. Current: 9/1
- New Orleans Saints – Opening odds: 10/1. Current: 10/1
- New England Patriots – Opening odds: 12/1. Current: 40/1
- Pittsburgh Steelers – Opening odds: 12/1. Current: 25/1
- Dallas Cowboys – Opening odds: 16/1. Current: 12/1
- Philadelphia Eagles – Opening odds: 20/1. Current: 20/1
- Green Bay Packers – Opening odds: 20/1. Current: 30/1
- Seattle Seahawks – Opening odds: 20/1. Current: 16/1
- Los Angeles Rams – Opening odds: 25/1. Current: 60/1
- Chicago Bears – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 50/1
- Cleveland Browns – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 50/1
- Los Angeles Chargers – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 50/1
- Indianapolis Colts – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 20/1
- Houston Texans – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 60/1
- Tennessee Titans – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 60/1
- Minnesota Vikings – Opening odds: 30/1. Current: 25/1
- Buffalo Bills – Opening odds: 40/1. Current: 30/1
- Atlanta Falcons – Opening odds: 40/1. Current: 80/1
- Las Vegas Raiders – Opening odds: 40/1. Current: 40/1
- Denver Broncos – Opening odds: 60/1. Current: 40/1
- New York Jets – Opening odds: 60/1. Current: 100/1
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Opening odds: 60/1. Current: 12/1
- Arizona Cardinals – Opening odds: 80/1. Current: 60/1
- New York Giants – Opening odds: 80/1. Current: 100/1
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Opening odds: 80/1. Current: 500/1
- Detroit Lions – Opening odds: 80/1. Current: 80/1
- Carolina Panthers – Opening odds: 100/1. Current: 200/1
- Cincinnati Bengals – Opening odds: 100/1. Current: 200/1
- Miami Dolphins – Opening odds: 100/1. Current: 100/1
- Washington Football Team – Opening odds: 100/1. Current: 300/1