Former Hoopster Antonio Burks in Memphis Court for Alleged Illegal Gambling
Posted on: August 12, 2021, 04:21h.
Last updated on: August 12, 2021, 04:52h.
Ex-NBA player Antonio Burks is facing several charges in connection with a gambling raid at his Memphis, Tenn. residence, according to local police.
Earlier this week, the 41-year-old appeared in a Tennessee court on aggravated gambling, gambling promotion, and possession of a gambling device or record charges, according to the Daily Memphian, a local newspaper.
The case stems from a raid last month. Cops said they discovered chips, cards, ledgers, poker tables, and surveillance cameras there. They also found a placard which said, “Burks Poker Palace Rules.”
The location was the site of alleged poker games held twice a week: Tuesday and Sunday nights, authorities claim based on witness statements.
Burks was released from custody after posting a $1,000 bond, according to LocalMemphis.com, a local news site. His next court date is Aug. 24.
In 2009, Burks got wounded in the stomach while taking part in a dice game in Memphis, the Memphian said. The shooting took place during a robbery. He required extensive medical treatment. The injuries put an end to him playing professional basketball.
Burks played for the Memphis Grizzlies basketball team. While in college, he played for the University of Memphis.
During his NBA pro career in the early 2000s, he played as a point guard. He also played pro basketball in Europe, including in Bulgaria and Serbia.
Burks has faced charges before. In 2010, it was for driving on a suspended license. He spent two days in jail, the Memphian said. Five years later, it was for domestic violence, the report adds.
Sportsbook License Temporarily Suspended
In an unrelated incident, the license of Tennessee sportsbook Action 24/7 was suspended in March,\ until the company put sufficient anti-money laundering precautions in place.
Tennessee Lottery officials, who monitor the online sportsbook, claimed deposits were made on the site that involve credit card fraud and money laundering.
Action 24/7 released a statement to WTVF, a local TV station, which, in part, claimed “Suspicious activity was detected quickly by Action staff and Action swiftly suspended the involved player accounts.
“Action instituted additional controls to curb the activity, and no further such activity has occurred since.”
In response to the incidents, Action 24/7 put in place steps that limit credit card transactions to two per hour, the lottery board reported. The company also reportedly implemented new procedures on the frequency of monitoring credit or debit cards.
A judge later issued an injunction to temporarily restore the sportsbook’s license. By May, the company was no longer under investigation and had an active license, according to the Nashville Tennessean.
Related News Articles
Related News Articles
January 5, 2022 — 7 Comments—