Feds Reportedly Looking at Other NBA Games in Gambling Investigation

Posted on: January 29, 2026, 10:01h. 

Last updated on: January 29, 2026, 10:13h.

  • FBI crackdown on illegal sports betting scheme involving NBA games  
  • Miami Heat guard Terry Rozier, at the center of the investigation, has pleaded not guilty
  • The New York Times report says Feds looking into more NBA games than the seven mentioned in last fall’s indictment

According to a New York Times report, federal prosecutors looking into illegal sports betting involving the NBA are expanding their investigation into games beyond the seven NBA games mentioned in the indictment from the Department of Justice (DOJ) last fall.

The Miami Heat’s Terry Rozier leaves Brooklyn federal court in New York in December. (Image: Mostafa Bassim/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Terry Rozier, a guard with the Miami Heat, has pleaded not guilty to charges he manipulated his on-court performance as a member of the Charlotte Hornets in 2023, tipping off gamblers that he would pull himself out of the game early. Gamblers then put down $200K in prop bets on the “under” stats for that game.

Illegal Gambling: Six Men Arrested

Rozier was one of six men arrested last fall for what federal prosecutors said was a wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy in a scheme to use inside information from NBA players and coaches to profit from illegal betting activity.

The seven games in question were the March 23, 2023, Hornets game, a March 24, 2023, Portland Trail Blazers game, an April 6, 2023, Orlando Magic game, Feb. 9, 2023, and Jan. 15, 2024, Los Angeles Lakers games, and Jan. 26, 2024, and March 20, 2024, Toronto Raptors games. The indictment referenced insider information provided to gamblers from “an NBA coach at the time,” an “inside connection to then Orlando Magic player” and coach Damon Jones, as well as to former NBA players Jontay Porter and Rozier.

FBI Crackdown

According to the Times report, government investigators are looking into other games beyond the seven that may have involved gamblers connected to Rozier and Porter, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud, having pulled himself out of those Raptors games. Porter is awaiting sentencing and was banned by the NBA in 2024.

Details about how many other games are being investigated, and if there were other players involved, haven’t been released, according to the report. Last week, a federal judge in Brooklyn sentenced Timothy McCormack, a gambler who federal prosecutors say defrauded sports betting platforms by placing illegal wagers based on nonpublic information, was the first defendant connected to the conspiracy connected to Rozier and Porter to be sentenced.

Porter Awaits Sentencing

McCormack, who talked about his gambling addiction, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud after personally betting on the seven games in question and was sentenced to two years in jail. The Times report, quoting an assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District, said the government investigation is ongoing and that McCormack was betting on other games that haven’t been made public yet.

Rozier’s arrest in October was part of a massive FBI crackdown that not only included the six men in the indictment involving Rozier, but also an alleged illegal poker scheme involving Portland Trail Blazers head coach Chauncey Billups, and others.

That scheme, allegedly involving members of the Bonanno, Gambino, Lucchese, and Genovese organized crime families, involved rigged poker games that used a shuffle machine that could count cards and an X-ray table that read cards face down on the table, all feeding information to a control room where participants were then defrauded out of thousands of dollars.

Rozier and Billups have been placed on leave by the NBA.