Areas of Expertise
3799 stories by Philip Conneller
Bellagio Robbery Perp Dies After Shootout with Police, Also Suspected of Prior Heist
A man who walked into the packed Bellagio at peak hours on Friday night and robbed the poker room cage at gunpoint has died from injuries sustained during an ensuing faceoff with police. According to police reports, the armed robber -- who...
Chinese Casino Ordered to Close for Polluting Cambodia Island Paradise
A Chinese casino on the paradisaical Cambodian island of Koh Rong Samloem has been ordered to close after it was accused by provincial officials of deliberately pumping raw sewage into the sea. Other complaints against the Jin Ding Hotel and Casino --...
MGM, SJM Secure Macau Casino License Extensions Until 2022, Markets Rejoice
MGM China Holdings and SJM Holdings have been granted two-year extensions to their Macau casino licenses, bringing the two operators in line with the gambling hub’s four other main licensees. All six gaming concessions will now expire together in the summer of...
LVS Abruptly Settles 15-Year Court Battle with Richard Suen, Figure Not Disclosed
Las Vegas Sands Corp agreed an undisclosed out-of-court-settlement with Hong Kong businessman Richard Suen Thursday on what was to be the second day of the third trial in a 15-year legal battle between the two parties. Suen -- who says he arranged...
Federal Bill Would Bring South Carolina Tribe’s Casino to North Carolina
US Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina) on Wednesday dropped a bill on Capitol Hill that, if passed, would take land into trust for the Catawba Indian Tribe for the construction of a $560 million casino in North Carolina. Graham is the kind...
Gambler Plans to Sue BetBright Over Bets Voided in 888 Acquisition
A former BetBright customer whose bets could have netted him £30,000 ($40,000) had they not been voided by the company last week told the UK’s Guardian newspaper he is preparing legal action against its former owners, Desdert (Ireland) Ltd. BetBright abruptly ceased...
LVS v Richard Suen Trial Underway, Hong Kong Businessman Demands $376 Million
Hong Kong businessman Richard Suen wants Las Vegas Sands Corp. to pay him $347 million for services rendered to the gaming giant in Macau in the early 2000s. But a lawyer for LVS said the absolute maximum Suen deserves is $3.76 million...
Ontario Calls for Single-Game Betting in Canada with Support of Pro Sports Leagues
Ontario finance minister Vic Fedeli has petitioned the Canadian federal government to shake up the country’s abstruse sports betting laws, which he says are costing his province alone $110 million per year in revenue, lost to the black market. In a letter...
North Florida’s Racetrack Bingo Ordered to Forfeit $6 Million Over Illegal Gambling Racket that Defrauded Local Charities
The owners of Racetrack Bingo in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, have been ordered to forfeit $6 million to the federal government after being convicted last month of operating an illegal gambling business that bilked local charities out of $8 million over eight...
Rhode Island Legislature Fends Off GOP Challenge to Pass Mobile Sports Betting Bill
Rhode Island’s mobile sports betting bill has cleared both chambers of the state legislature and now awaits sign off by Governor Gina Raimondo. That signature is all but assured -- Raimondo’s proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1 includes...