Reno Casino Gunman Dies of Injuries After Killing 3
Posted on: July 31, 2025, 06:19h.
Last updated on: July 31, 2025, 06:20h.
The shooter who killed three people and injured two others outside the Grand Sierra Resorts and Casino in Reno has died of injuries he sustained exchanging fire with a Reno police officer.

Dakota Hawver, a 26-year-old Reno resident, died overnight, Sparks police announced on Thursday. Hawver had been hospitalized in critical condition since he was shot.
It was the first of two tragic shootings in the US on Monday, which also saw 27-year-old Las Vegas resident Shane Tamura kill four people and then himself with an assault rifle in a Manhattan skyscaper only eight hours later.
Investigators say they’ve found no connection between Hawver, the Grand Sierra or his victims, and his motive remains unknown. They also said Hawver had no prior record or history of mental illness.
Timeline

The shooting began around 7:25 a.m. near the valet in front of the casino, where Hawver produced a handgun and pointed it.
The firearm briefly malfunctioned, but Hawver was able to fix the problem and begin firing into a group of people waiting at the valet.
Justin Aguila and Andrew Canepa were fatally shot from behind while awaiting a ride to the nearby airport, police said. Both were 33-year-old Southern Californians visiting Reno to attend a bachelor party.
Hawver proceeded to traded fire with a casino security guard in the parking lot. Then, while hiding behind a parked vehicle, he fired into a car driving through the lot. Reno resident Angel Martinez, 66, was killed instantly.
Finally, Hawver fired at a Reno police car before the officer shot and wounded him.
Police say Hawver got off 80 rounds, using multiple magazines, from a 9mm handgun that he legally purchased two years ago. Police said they believe he originally intended to enter the casino.
Two other people wounded in the shooting remained hospitalized but were expected to make a full recovery, police said. Their names were not released.
GoFundMe campaigns are currently underway to help relieve the financial burdens for the families of Andrew Canepa and Angel Martinez.
Last Comment ( 1 )
People make dumb choices all to often these days. It is senseless and pathetic. No one has the right to take innocent lives.