Marina Bay Sands in Singapore Breaks Ground on $8 Billion Expansion

Posted on: July 16, 2025, 12:21h. 

Last updated on: July 16, 2025, 09:03h.

  • Marina Bay Sands is amid an $8 billion expansion
  • The casino resort is owned and operated by Las Vegas Sands
  • The project includes a fourth hotel tower and a sports arena

On Tuesday, Marina Bay Sands began construction on its $8 billion expansion that officials with the company say will be a “tourism gamechanger” for Singapore.

Marina Bay Sands expansion Singapore
A rendering of the $8 billion expansion of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. The project includes a fourth tower and a 15K-seat arena. (Image: Las Vegas Sands)

Sands reps, including the Las Vegas-based casino company’s largest shareholder, Dr. Miriam Adelson, the widow of Sheldon Adelson — the man who transformed Marina Bay into one of the world’s most luxurious casino markets — attended the groundbreaking ceremony. Patrick Dumont, Sands’ president and chief operating officer, who married into the Adelson family, was also on hand, as was Sands CEO Rob Goldstein, the man responsible for Sands divesting its Las Vegas Strip properties in 2022.

The $8 billion undertaking is highlighted by a 55-story hotel tower that will stand south of the three towers that are currently connected by the 1,120-foot-long SkyPark Observation Deck that features the Instagram-worthy infinity pool. The fourth tower will stand alone and offer 570 suites along with a 76K-square-foot Skyloop that will feature restaurants, a rooftop garden, infinity-edge pools, and both private and public spaces.

The expansion also includes a 15K-seat arena, luxury retail boutiques, wellness amenities such as a holistic spa, 200K square feet of MICE (meeting, incentive, convention, and exhibition) space, and additional casino gambling. The arena is being designed by Populous, the company behind the Las Vegas Sphere and O2 Arena in London.

Years in the Making

The expansion of what’s considered the “gold standard” of the global integrated resort industry, Marina Bay Sands’ expansion plans date back to April 2019 when Las Vegas Sands secured an extension of its gaming license in Singapore through at least 2030.  

At the time, Sands said it would invest approximately $3.3 billion to bring a fourth tower, a 15K-seat arena, and additional MICE areas to the property. The COVID-19 pandemic greatly delayed the project. Sheldon Adelson, the Sands founder and longtime chairman and CEO, then died in January 2021.

More than six years after it was announced, and about $4.7 billion costlier than Sands initially envisioned, the project is moving forward.

With its opening in 2010, our founder, Sheldon G. Adelson, embarked on a journey in Singapore with Marina Bay Sands and the people of Singapore that promised to change the face of tourism in the region. Fifteen years later, we have delivered on these ambitions and more,” said Goldstein.

“Marina Bay Sands is the world’s most successful integrated resort in history, and the gold standard in the industry. It has been truly incredible to witness Mr. Adelson’s vision come to life, and we are proud to carry his legacy forward with today’s groundbreaking ceremony for our new development here. We have every intention of delivering a product that will be the envy of the hospitality industry and usher in a new era of luxury tourism in Singapore.”

Marina Bay Sands expansion Singapore
(Image: Las Vegas Sands)

Singapore Focus

Las Vegas Sands no longer has any casinos in Las Vegas or anywhere else in the US. Goldstein led the sale of The Venetian/Palazzo on the Las Vegas Strip for $6.25 billion just two months after Adelson died.

Sands considered a bid for a downstate New York license, but abandoned its Long Island plans earlier this year. Sands sold its casino in eastern Pennsylvania in 2018.

Sands is focused on its five integrated resorts in China’s Macau and Singapore, the latter being where the company is seemingly most bullish.