Canadian Says Ex Took $5 Million Lottery Jackpot, Ran Off With New Lover

Posted on: May 28, 2025, 11:20h. 

Last updated on: May 28, 2025, 11:59h.

  • Plaintiff claims he bought $5M winning ticket but lacked valid ID to claim it.
  • Krystal McKay claimed the prize on his behalf and deposited it in her account.
  • McKay abruptly left him days later and began a new relationship, per suit.

A Canadian man is suing his ex, claiming she rejected and “ghosted” him in favor of a CA$5 million (US$3.6 million) lottery prize and a new partner.

Lawrence Campbell, Krystal Ann McKay, Canadian lottery dispute, Man sues ex over lottery win, Winnipeg $5 million lottery lawsuit, Lottery ticket claimed by girlfriend, WCLC lottery legal battle
All smiles? Krystal McKay was oddly solemn-faced when accepting her $5 million prize in January 2024, alongside now-ex Lawrence Campbell. (Image: Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries)

The plaintiff, Lawrence Campbell of Winnipeg, says he bought the winning ticket himself on Jan. 19, 2024, but was advised by officials at Western Canada Lottery Corporation (WCLC) that he couldn’t claim it without a government-issued ID.

Since he didn’t have one, WCLC officials suggested his then-girlfriend, Krystal Ann McKay, could claim the prize on his behalf, according to the lawsuit.

Campbell also allowed McKay, with whom he was in a “loyal, committed and promising relationship,” to keep the $5 million in her bank account because he didn’t have one of those either, per the complaint.

Romance Sours

Initially, everything was fine, according to Campbell – the happy couple recorded a video of themselves jubilantly verifying the win at a nearby Shoppers Drug Mart and began making plans.

They also posed together for lottery publicity shots with an oversized novelty check, although McKay appeared oddly unsmiling in photos and video.

At that time, the winning ticket was described to the press as a birthday present from Campbell to McKay.

Several days later, McKay failed to return to the hotel the pair shared. Campbell called her friends and family members to see if they knew where she was.

When that failed, he says he went looking for her in known spots where she liked to party because he was concerned about her safety. Eventually, he found her – in bed with another man, according to the lawsuit.

McKay told Campbell she was leaving him for “the new guy” and subsequently blocked him on social media and refused to take his calls or respond to his messages. She also took out a protection order against him.

Bad Advice

The lawsuit filed in Manitoba’s Court of King’s Bench earlier this month names McKay, as well as the WCLC and Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries, which regulates the lottery in the province. It claims officials gave him bad advice and did not warn him of the inherent risks of having McKay claim the winnings.

This case is about systemic karma vs. the system itself,” Chad Panting, Campbell’s lawyer, told CTV News. “A situation created or certainly enabled by the state-owned Lottery Corporations administering lotto claims in Manitoba.”

Krystal Ann McKay’s lawyer, Conor Williamson, told CTV News his client disputes the allegations and is preparing to file a statement of defense.