Nevada Coronavirus Task Force Receives $10M in Donations, as State COVID-19 Cases Top 1,500
Posted on: April 3, 2020, 03:30h.
Last updated on: April 3, 2020, 04:08h.
The Nevada coronavirus task force being led by former MGM Resorts CEO Jim Murren claims it has received more than $10 million in donations and acquired more than a million pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) over the past week.
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) formed the COVID-19 Response, Relief & Recovery Task Force to assist with providing the medical community and first responders with adequate PPE supplies. Murren departed MGM to chair the task force, and his leadership is aiming to bridge the gap between the private-sector and state in the crisis response.
Murren said Friday that more than $10 million in financial donations has been received. The funds are used to source PPE materials, including surgical masks, N95-equivalent CDC-approved respirator masks, medical gloves, and medical gowns.
The members of the Task Force and I are in awe of the generosity we’ve encountered from so many of our peers, friends and fellow Nevadans,” said Murren.
He added, “In today’s hyper-competitive market of medical supplies, it is critical that we have readily available funds to seize opportunities to purchase necessary supplies every time appropriate sourcing is secured. While this is significant progress, there is much more work to be done to ensure our State’s recovery.”
Murren said the task force’s initial phase is to focus all of its efforts on meeting immediate needs in the medical and nonprofit communities.
Nevada residents are under a stay-at-home order from Sisolak, as are people in at least 38 states, plus DC and Puerto Rico. As of Friday morning, Nevada has 1,514 positive cases of the coronavirus, and 43 people have died from the respiratory disease.
Casinos will remain shuttered statewide through at least the end of the month. In the meantime, many gaming industry tycoons are helping the Nevada task force.
Murren said the following companies, foundations, and individuals account for the majority of the $10 million in financial contributions:
- Nevada Gold Mines
- Elaine P. Wynn & Family Foundation
- The Fertitta Family Foundation
- Stephen J. Cloobeck
- The Murren Family Foundation
- The Engelstad Foundation
- Bill Foley, owner of the Vegas Golden Knights and The Vegas Golden Knights Foundation
- Mark Davis, and the Las Vegas Raiders
- The Marnell Family Foundation
- Phil & Jennifer Satre
- Monarch Casino
- Peppermill Resort
- Scott & Mary Alice Nielson
- Menzies Family Trust
- Binion Family Foundation
- Several other individual contributions totaling $235,000 to date
Murren says the task force has already delivered 241,000 N95 masks, one million pairs of gloves, 2,000 surgical gowns, 700,000 surgical masks, and 100 gallons of hand sanitizer.
“We could not have made this incredible progress without the necessary funds to purchase these supplies,” Murren said. “The generosity of our donors has made this possible. Nevadans have come through for their state, as they always do in times of crisis.”
Murren Steps Up
Murren announced his resignation on February 12 from MGM Resorts, the company he had been with since 2008. The CEO agreed to stay on until his successor was identified, but last month decided to accept Sisolak’s offer to head the task force in an unpaid capacity.
Murren’s departure from MGM comes with a severance package north of $30 million.
Related News Articles
Related News Articles
October 28, 2022 — 37 Comments—
November 11, 2022 — 11 Comments—
October 26, 2022 — 10 Comments—
November 3, 2022 — 4 Comments—